Monday, August 02, 2010

Simple but Very Decadent Potatoes




I am so inspired every time I see this blog, and I will be making the easy risotto tonight! Trevor has been out of town on business for most of the summer, so when he comes home, I start to cook again. I just hate cooking for one person, and I guess I go overboard and want to cook everything when there are 2 people in my house again. Here is a recipe for gruyere potatoes; they are very rich but very easy to make. We have also substituted a good sharp cheddar for gruyere as gruyere can be pricey.


2 C grated Gruyere cheese

1 lb baby new potatoes (I have used Yukon gold and baby red potatoes)

1 C heavy cream

1/8 t pepper

Salt to taste



Heat oven to 375.

Put whole potatoes into cold ice water. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife can be inserted and potatoes are firm, not falling apart. Drain potatoes. Mash potatoes with a fork like you are making smashed potatoes but not mashed potatoes--leave chunks to give substance to the potatoes. Add cheese, heavy cream, and pepper and mix well. I usually divide the mixture into ramikins but I have also made one big casserole dish. Put into oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. When you take them out, it's best to let them sit for about 10 minutes to solidify and cool.


1 comment:

  1. Jeanna, I'm excited to make this. Just have to get some Gruyere first. I like that you make yours in ramekins-- I can use the ones you gave me.

    ReplyDelete