Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes


I've started keeping Ricotta cheese on hand because it lasts forever, and I keep finding great recipes with it.  The ricotta in this keeps the pancakes very moist, and I'm a sucker for any recipe involving buttermilk (which I've never actually purchased, I just make my own by adding lemon to milk- I add 1/2 tbs. lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and let sit for 10 min, and for this recipe I obviously tripled that).  And if you found you always went for the Limone flavor on your gelato tour of Italy, then you'll probably enjoy these.

Makes 4 servings
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 large eggs, separated
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c ricotta cheese (whole or part skim)
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp unsalted butter
strawberries for topping or maple syrup (optional)

In large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.  In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks, sugar, ricotta, and lemon zest.  Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until blended.  There will be some small lumps.

In a separate bowl, using a mixer on medium speed or a whisk, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Using a spatula, fold the beaten whites into the ricotta mix just until blended.

Warm a frying pan or griddle to medium heat (just hot enough that a drop of water quickly evaporates).  Butter the surface and ladle about 1/4 c of batter onto surface.  Cook on med-low until edges look dry and bottoms are golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Flip and cook til golden.  Makes about 16 pancakes, and you can keep them warm uncovered in the oven at 250 while finishing the batter.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious. It also reminds me that there's a Cinnamon Polenta pancake recipe in this month's Food and Wine that I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum. These were definitely posted with you and your limone gelato in mind.

    ReplyDelete