Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mushroom Stuffed Pork Chops with Polenta

I am ever so happy to finally contribute to this lovely blog dedicated to deliciousness. I just posted this same thing on my sister's food blog: Pots and Peter Pans. It is only the second time I have ever done it so I am quite proud of myself. It will be my policy from now on to post recipes on both blogs if I ever do get around to doing it at all. Zach actually picked out this recipe because he loves to grill meat. They turned out really great, but I want to see if it would be good just doing it in the oven instead of on the grill (that way I won't need Zach's help... I really should learn how to use it I guess). Next time I may experiment with that. If anyone else decides to try them in the oven, let us all know how it goes.

Mushroom Stuffed Pork Chops
Prep: 25 Minutes, Grill: 35 Minutes
Makes 4 Servings (we made it into 6)

1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (button, chanterelle, or shiitake... we used portabello)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
4 pork loin chops or pork rib chops, cut 1 1/4 inches think (we got them cut by the butcher)
1/4 cup ginger jelly or preserves or orange marmalade (we left this out, but it probably keeps it more tender)

1. For stuffing, in a small saucepan cook mushrooms and onion in hot better until onion is tender. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in ginger, salt, and pepper. Add spinach and bread crumbs, tossing gently until combined.
2. Trim fat from chops. Make a pocket in each chop by cutting horizontally from the fat side almost to the bone. Spoon one-forth of the stuffing into each pocket. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle chops with additional salt and pepper.
3. For charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place chops on grill rack over pan. Cover; grill fro 35 to 40 minutes or until chops are slightly pink in center and juices run clear (160 degrees F) turning once, brushing occasionally with ginger jelly during the last 5 minutes of grilling (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above)

*Compliments of Better Homes and Gardens New Grilling Cookbook





Polenta With Parmesan Cheese

Ingredients

  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
  • 2 Tbs unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Directions

  1. Bring the water to a boil.
  2. Slowly whisk in the polenta.
  3. Add the salt and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and butter. Mix well.
  5. Serve immediately.

Note: These directions did not say to turn down the heat, but I did anyway after I whisked in the Polenta. Even with the heat on Medium the Polenta started spitting out of the pot at me. I took it off the heat completely and then just put it back on simmer and it turned out fine. Also, one cup of Polenta should be 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mary! I can attest to the deliciousnes of these pork chops and the polenta.

    ReplyDelete