Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bittersweet Cafe Mocha

This really brought me back to Italy.  I seem to continue failing on the coffee front, but I marked this one as a success even though it destroyed my kitchen because I don't have any of the proper coffee making utensils (ie milk frother, espresso machine). However, that's why I love this recipe because I was able to recreate a delicious Italian coffee without the expense of a gorgeous copper espresso machine.

Makes 1 serving (I doubled this so I would have leftovers for an iced mocha the next day)
1 tbsp unsweeted cocoa powder (you want to use good cocoa powder like Dutch-process or natural cocoa power)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 c brewed double strength coffee
dash of vanilla extract
1 c whole milk (I used 1 %)

In a saucepan over med heat combine cocoa, sugar, and coffee and heat until hot and steaming, 5 min.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Pour into a large mug with room for milk.

If you're without a milk frother like me, warm the milk in a saucepan over med-high heat until small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.  Do not allow the milk to boil.  Pour the hot milk into the mug and stir to combine.

Yum.  Reminded me of the lattes in Assisi.  Did anyone else find the coffee in Assisi to be some of the best in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment