Sunday, June 06, 2010

Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake


I hated rhubarb as a kid - HATED it. I could never understand why my mom adored strawberry rhubarb combinations so much. Perhaps rhubarb is an acquired taste, one which I have only recently started enjoying; but it is so much easier to enjoy when you can get beautiful farm-fresh, ruby-red stalks! I've been a little afraid to try baking with it on its own - why mess with a good thing, i.e. a strawberry rhubarb pie? But on our last visit to Wightman's Farm (1111 Mt. Kemble Ave, Morristown NJ), we were handed a free recipe with our rhubarb purchase, which I ventured to put together last night. Another virtue of this recipe besides being delicious is that it is relatively quick, an essential when you have a 5 month old Baby Hulk ("BABY SMASH!!"). So thank you, Wightman's Farm! Please accept my free advertising in exchange for letting me share your recipe here:


Cake ingredients:
1/2 c. softened butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon (note: I was nearly out of cinnamon so did not have the full amount; it was still delicious)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 c. buttermilk
4 c. chopped rhubarb (can use frozen if fresh is not available - they say to measure out while frozen, then thaw completely, drain but do not press liquid out)

Topping ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c. cold butter (my note: cut into small pieces to speed process before getting out your pastry cutter)

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to wet mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. I hated rhubarb! But, do like it now in pies with something sweet. If I ever come across it at the farmer's market I might give this a try. We'll see. I do love a good coffee cake, especially the topping. Also, thanks for all the blog love as of late!

    ReplyDelete