Thursday, June 03, 2010

Memorial Day Sweet Tea in a Mason Jar


You can guess from my radio silence over the past few weeks (months) that an new-born can stifle culinary creativity. However, for Memorial Day I decided to live it up a little. Besides some excellent ribs (KC-rub and Night of the Living Bar-B-Q Sauce) and Dave's Guinness Cupcakes, I was missing Texas so I thought nothing is classier than some sweet tea in a mason jar.

1 pinch baking soda
2 c. boiling water
6 c. cool water
6 bags black tea
2 c. sugar

1. Pour the boiling water into a measuring cup which already contains baking soda and tea bags. Steep 15 mins.
2. Remove tea without straining bags. Pour into container (2 quarts) with sugar and stir. Add cool water.

[option 1: divide into 2 mason jars and live in style. option 2: make a simple syrup with crushed mint and some lemon. strain mint and lemon before adding in place of sugar in step 2]

Obviously we all know how to boil water, but I thought to share this because the pinch of baking soda is something I discovered which held me back from the authentic taste in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Baking soda-- I never would have guessed. I love your ode to all things good for Memorial Day, especially the ribs. Perhaps the ribs recipe next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you can see our bottle-drying rack in the corner of this photo.

    ReplyDelete