Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lemon Orzo

Eliese made this several times in college and I was so smitten with the recipe that it was ingrained in my memory.  I don't know if it's completely accurate since I've been eyeballing it for years, but this is the closest I've come to the amazingness that this recipe is.  It's probably from Gourmet because it was one of those fabulous recipes her mom would always send her, so you know of course it's good.  And it's so easy.  And it's made with everything you can regularly keep on hand in your cupboard.  Honestly, as I eat this orzo my mouth waters for more, it has such a great citrus bite.  Hope you can enjoy it as an easy go to recipe. It makes a great side with poultry and fish, or just eat it on it's own like I am today with the leftovers.  Also, Eliese, feel free to note any differences you have in your original recipe.

Serves 4

2 tbsp butter
1/2 medium onion, diced
3-5 garlic cloves, diced
1 cup orzo
1 1/4- 1 1/2 cup of water (depending on how dry your climate is and how quickly your orzo cooks)
juice of 2 lemons (or 1/4 c lemon juice from the bottle, I've made it both ways and it's been great)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tbsp dried parsley


1. Melt butter in a large warmed skillet on medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, 3-5 min.

2.  Add orzo and cook, stirring occasionaly, until starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes.

3.  Add water, bouillon, and lemon and let simmer until most of the liquid is cooked off, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.  You will need to taste the pasta to see if it is cooked and add more water if it needs a little longer.

4.  Add parsley and cook, stirring, until orzo is moist but not goopy (see picture).

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, nearly got it. Not sure where Mom acquired the recipe or if it's her own. Maybe I'll post her version someday - off the top of my head though I use broth for water, and garlic's not in the original but would probably be amazing because, well, it's garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray. I specifically remembered the entire bouillon. I forgot to mention I've made it with white wine which gives it a nice flavor, and without onions, maybe out of sheer laziness. It's such a fabulous recipe and I always get compliments when I make it (and I always drool as I eat it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this as a side to the pork tenderloin. I really liked it! I'm excited. I've never had orzo before. It was very easy. I'm looking forward to trying it again with some variations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I'm so glad you liked it. Orzo's the best. And, please do share how any variations turn out.

    ReplyDelete