Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Goodbye, Summer

While I must admit I'm enjoying this cool Northeast weather, I am rather sad at the fading of summer and likewise summer produce. And I didn't even can anything this year (although there's hope yet for apple season)! Recently we made two un-recipe meals from some of the last of summer's produce.

Meal One: Breakfast for Dinner - Eggs and Bacon with Hash of Local Red Potatoes, Leeks, and Yellow Squash. (Let's see if I can remember how I made it - but the point is to give you ideas, anyway, 'cause you can just make it up too with what you have.)
Chop and cook several pieces of bacon to brown and render fat; throw in some roughly chopped garlic until fragrant. I probably added a little vegetable oil too, before tossing in chopped squash and leeks and letting them soften and brown. Then, add the diced potatoes with some salt, pepper, and paprika... let it brown a little by leaving it alone for a while, stirring, leaving it alone...; pour in chicken stock mixed with some cream and a few dashes of Tabasco. Cover, and let potatoes soften and simmer off the liquid. I've never been able to get my hashes crisp but this was great even mushy. Eggs and bacon on side - done!

Meal Two: Breaded Fried Local Eggplant with NJ Heirloom Tomatoes and Mozzarella (http://www.antoniomozzarella.com/).
Slice eggplant; bread by dipping in flour, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs. Let the eggplant chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes; then fry in maybe 1/2 inch hot vegetable oil for a few minutes each side until golden brown. We put these on top of salad while still hot. I also made a little drizzle sauce with sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, garlic, and sugar to go over the eggplant and salad. Then we had the tomatoes and mozzarella on the side. Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. The eggplant looks delicious. Do you ever have issues with eggplant being bitter? Is that why you put it in the fridge before you fried it? I've only ever sweated it with salt, so that's why I asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just made an improvised Eggplant Parmesan that your post inspired. I egged, breaded and fried the eggplant, put it over spaghetti squash and a marinara with a sprinkling of parmesan. So good.

    ReplyDelete